The Heritage High School Band was formed in the fall of 2008 with 63 high school students. The program has since reached over 200 members, making us one of the largest programs in North Georgia. The high school band program consists of two concert bands, a marching band, a pep band, two jazz bands, a winterguard, and several small ensembles.
The “Legion of Generals” marching band won 1st place at its first ever marching contest. They were the 2008 Class AA Champions of the Creekview Classic in Canton, Georgia. In our second year (2009), the band was chosen as the Class 5A Champion at the USSBA Southern States Championships in Chattanooga, Tennessee. Since 2010, the band has been named Grand Champion 16 times.
The Heritage Band program has been awarded the Georgia Music Educators Association (GMEA) Exemplary Performance Award in 2022, 2018, 2015 and 2012. We were the first Georgia high school band to receive this distinction four times. The Heritage Wind Ensemble has received all superior ratings at the Georgia Music Educators Association (GMEA) District 7 Large Group Performance Evaluation from 2009 to the present. Since opening in 2008, the band has had 414 members chosen for the GMEA District 7 Honor Band, 124 Georgia All-State Band members, and 20 All-State Jazz Band members. The band has also had 6 members selected as members of the United States Army All American Band, 5 students selected to the National Association for Music Education National Concert Band, and 1 student selected the the American School Band Directors Association National Honor Band.
The Heritage Band program has members and officers in the National Honor Society, Beta Club, Key Club, Student Government, and several Eagle Scouts. The band boasts many former valedictorians, salutatorians, and homecoming queens. Band members have participated in varsity baseball, softball, tennis, football, basketball, soccer, track, swimming, cross country, wrestling, and cheerleading.
Our band graduates have previously or are currently participating in the music programs at the following colleges and universities: Eastman School of Music, Emory University, Mannes College, Florida State University, University of Georgia, Georgia Tech, Jacksonville State University, Middle Tennessee State University, Kennesaw State University, East Tennessee State University, Carson Newman University, Georgia Medical College, Georgia Southern University, University of North Georgia, Berry College, Lee University, Shorter College, Mercer University, University of West Georgia, Young Harris College, Berea College, Reinhardt University, and the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga.
The Heritage Band has been invited to perform at the following events:
- 2015, 2020, & 2024 University of Georgia “Janfest” – Athens, Georgia
- 2023 University of Tennessee at Chattanooga Tri-State Honor Band – Chattanooga, Tennessee
- 2022 Chick-Fil-A Peach Bowl Parade – Atlanta, Georgia
- 2020 National Cherry Blossom Festival – Washington D.C.
- 2020 Georgia Music Educators Association Conference – Athens, Georgia
- 2017 Music For All National Concert Band Festival – Indianapolis, Indiana
- 2016 University of Alabama Honor Band Festival – Tuscaloosa, Alabama
- 2015 National Veterans Day Parade – New York City, New York
- 2013 Fiesta Flambeau Parade – San Antonio, Texas
- 2013 Southeastern United States Honor Band Clinic at Troy University, Troy, Alabama
- 2011 Loyola University Invitational Concert Band Festival – New Orleans, Louisiana
- 2008, 2009 and 2011 Healthcare of Atlanta Festival of Trees Christmas Parade – Atlanta, Georgia
- 2009 Blue Cross/Blue Shield National Band Championships – Glendale, Arizona
- 2009 Fort McDowall Fiesta Bowl Parade – Phoenix, Arizona